Following the debate at the Legislative Regional Assembly of the Autonomous Region of the Azores, the Azorean Diaspora Council (CDA) was approved unanimously by the Regional Legislative Decree no. 18/2019/A, of 5 August.
The Azorean Diaspora Council, proposed by the Government of the Azores, aims at ensuring that the Azoreans from all over the world are listened to, participate in, and collaborate in defining common goals within the Azores’ development project, through debate, issue of opinions, suggestions and proposals related to emigration and the Azorean diaspora.
COMPOSITION OF CDA
The Azorean Diaspora Council is chaired by the President of the Regional Government of the Azores and it encompasses thirty-six members in total, namely:
- The member of the Regional Government with competence in matters of emigration and Azorean communities;
- Three representatives of the Legislative Regional Assembly of the Autonomous Region of the Azores;
- Nineteen representatives elected from the Azorean diaspora;
- One representative of the World Casas dos Açores Council;
- The regional directors with competence in the areas of emigration and communities, social solidarity, employment and professional skills, culture, tourism, and incentives;
- One representative of SDEA – Azores Business Development Society;
- One representative of Association of Municipalities of the Autonomous Region of the Azores;
- One representative of the associations of emigrants with presence and activity in the Autonomous Region of the Azores;
- One representative of the Directorate-General for Consular Affairs and Portuguese Communities; and
- One representative of the Council of the Portuguese Communities